Wednesday, October 18, 2006

zombie or jetsetter?

I think I may bill myself as a professional Zombie


The last three (!?) months are just a blur.  I have traveled back and forth across the country more times than I want to think about.  I had to go to Vegas for 7 days.  OUCH.  I have been trying to get these two huge deals up and running for my new job.  The new laptop (for work) got infected with a nasty Trojan a day after I had finished loading and setting up ALL of the software on it needed for the new gig.  Oh and I’m learning German.  Not my favorite language but I need to go there early next year (one of the big contracts) so I figured I should be as un-ugly American about it as possible and try to learn the local language.  At least show them that I am trying.  

Let me say a few things about spending a week in Las Vegas.  First of all don’t do it.  It will leave some part of your mind/psyche permanently scarred.  The first 4 days were spent doing Interbike.  That’s the bicycle industry trade show and it’s fucking HUGE.  2000 vendors in one gihugic room being looked at by 8-10K shop guys.  Don’t get me wrong it’s a blast but it is also a hell of a lot of work.  My boss kept saying how unworried he was this year because he had me to worry for him.  I was crazed by the end of it.  There were so many things on my list to do that I got a bit wacky with it all.  Now the fun part of it is spending time with people who, like me, love cycling and the toys/people associated with it.  By the end of the show I had so many different products and prices/margins/options in my head that I could barely think about anything else.  Apparently my brain only has enough RAM to run about two days worth of stats before it starts to push some older info out.  Does anyone know what my college mascot was?

On Friday Rob flew home and Meghan flew in.  We walked the last day of the show together and looked at some things that would really work well for her (she’s tiny so it’s really hard to find good gear).  Then we just spent the next three and a half days hangin’ out and doing the Vegas thing.  We don’t like to gamble but fell prey to the Telly Savalas – Hollywood Squares penny slot machine.  It’s really funny and bought us ice cream and sodas one night.  (I am thinking of starting an online church that worships Telly Savalas.)  We walked, and walked and walked.  My dogs were hurtin’.  We went to see Louis Black at the MGM one night.  I have to say yes he was funny but the show was called “Red White and Screwed” and it was Louis Black so we were expecting some political humor.  What we got was 40 minutes on how fucked up Vegas is and an explanation about why he wasn’t doing political humor.  (He didn’t want to offend people.)  I felt a little ripped off and disappointed.  Like I said he was funny it’s just that well you expect to see a baseball game at the ballpark, not soccer.  Meghan and I had a really great time together (as usual) with the exception of venturing into Circus Circus (never, under any circumstances – even if there are weasels threatening to kill your family if you don’t - go there.)  I will not speak of it further.

We flew home together which was really nice and I spent the night at her place before coming home.  My dogs were SO happy I was back.  There really is nothing like coming home to your dogs after a trip.  It’s all wags and kisses and obvious love.  I recommend it to everyone who needs a lift.  They alternated between jumping up and down and running around the house as fast as possible.  It was just great.  

Do you want to hear more about Meghan or have I sufficiently made you ill?  Ok then more it is.  I love that woman.  She is amazing.  Smart (fucking scary brilliant), funny, dorky, she knows who she is very comfortable with that and she loves me.  Oh and she cooks too.  I do too so curb the hate mail.  I am a very happy camper.  

There’s a lot more to tell you about, well just a ton of stuff but I gotta get back to work.

Later,
Sam

1 Comments:

Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

i hear you on vegas. chef went for his neices wedding last week, I chose not to go due to the expense and he was golfing and I didnt want to hang in vegas alone...every day and night he called me "this is NOT the place to be".

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home